Tag: 上海夜网CB

first_imgMay 14, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Indonesia’s health ministry reported today that a 26-year-old pregnant woman who died 2 days ago tested positive for H5N1 avian flu, making her the country’s second fatality in as many weeks.The woman, who was 4 months pregnant, died at a hospital in Medan in North Sumatra, a health ministry official identified as Joko told Agence France Presse (AFP).Her death brings Indonesia’s fatality count to 76, Joko told AFP. From Indonesia’s recent reports, the total number of H5N1 cases appears to be 96, including the 26-year-old woman and a 29-year-old woman who died May 3, also at a hospital in Medan.The World Health Organization (WHO) has not included any Indonesian cases in its H5N1 count since the country stopped sharing H5N1 virus samples with the agency at the end of 2006. The WHO lists 81 cases with 63 deaths for Indonesia, out of a global total of 291 cases with 172 deaths; Indonesia leads the world in the number of deaths.The health ministry confirmed the woman’s case after a second set of tests came back positive for the H5N1 virus, AFP reported.The patient, who was thought to have eaten chickens that died of avian flu, became ill on May 2 and was treated at home before she was transferred to two different hospitals, the AFP report said.Twenty other patients are undergoing treatment for suspected H5N1 infections at various hospitals in Indonesia, Joko told AFP.In other avian flu news, animal-health officials in Bangladesh yesterday reported more H5N1 outbreaks in poultry, this time in a village near Nilphamari, about 250 miles northwest of Dhaka, the capital, Reuters reported today. The fresh outbreaks at small farms prompted villagers to cull about 15,000 chickens over the last few days, the report said.M. M. Kahn, a technical adviser to the Bangladesh Poultry Association, told AFP 2 days ago that the avian flu situation in poultry was “very grave” because some farmers were not reporting outbreaks or were trying to cover them up.”The flu is no longer confined to farms. Recently it infected domestic birds and fowls and there’s a real danger it could infect humans” in the heavily populated country, Khan told AFP.Government spokesman Abdul Motalib said the situation was not yet grave, but he acknowledged the nation was having trouble combating the outbreaks because of limited resources and staffing, the AFP report said.Bangladesh reported its first H5N1 outbreak in poultry in late March. Since then, Motalib said, H5N1 has hit 40 farms in 11 districts and has led to the culling of 151,000 birds, AFP reported.Meanwhile, officials across the border in India said today that dead poultry and ducks in two Indian states have tested negative for avian flu, Reuters reported. One of the farms that reported poultry deaths was in the eastern state of West Bengal in the village of Matigara, which borders Bangladesh.Upma Chawdhry, an official with India’s animal husbandry department, told Reuters that countrywide monitoring was continuing, with a focus on areas bordering countries that have reported poultry outbreaks.In Vietnam, a veterinary official from Nghe An, the central province where H5N1 virus resurfaced in poultry in early May, reported a new flu outbreak yesterday, the Chinese news agency Xinhua reported. About 1,900 ducks from three households were found dead on May 9, an animal-health official who requested anonymity told Xinhua. Samples from the dead birds tested positive for an H5 virus, the source said.Vietnam experienced a rash of outbreaks in December and January in several Mekong Delta and central provinces, according to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE).Vietnam has had 93 human H5N1 cases and 42 deaths, but no human cases have been reported since November 2005, according to the World Health Organization.See also:OIE reports on 2007 Vietnamese poultry outbreakslast_img read more

first_imgMark Mentors, Civil Defence, Kano Pillars, Rivers Hoopers and Gombe Bulls will represent Nigeria at the 2017 FIBA Africa Zone 3 Club Championship elimination series starting on Saturday.Executive board of the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) took this decision on Tuesday following series of extensive deliberations with FIBA Africa and relevant basketball stakeholders in Nigeria. Speaking on behalf of the federation, the NBBF President, Musa Kida, said the board decided to accommodate more clubs in the overall interest of the game in the country as part of their policies when they came on board.“In the light of prevailing circumstances, based on consultations and advice from FIBA Zone 3, it became expedient to give Kano Pillars and Gombe Bulls another chance to participate in the Zone 3 Club Championship in Lagos 11th – 18th November.”The NBBF said it also added Rivers Hoopers of Port Harcourt for heeding to the directives given by the board to stay away from the unsanctioned competition.“We could not do this and leave out Rivers Hoopers who also heeded the Board’s directive and did not go to play in the non-recognized Final 8 competition in Kano.”The federation said the move was made in the best interest of players who are innocent of infractions committed by their clubs in participating in the national playoff that was not sanctioned by the Kida led NBBF board.The board warned that the latest decision should not be seen as a weakness and a license for clubs to go against the directives of constituted authority in future.According to the federation, the decision was not taken to be politically correct, but in the overall interest of the players who are our clients.The competition will hold between 11th to 18th of November, 2017 at the Indoor Sports Hall of the National Stadium, Lagos.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

first_imgAn agreement for the importation of cheap natural gas from Venezuela was signed on Saturday between T&T Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley and Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. The terms of agreement was between the National Gas Company (NGC), the Venezuelan NGC, Shell and the Venezuelan state-owned oil and natural gas company, Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (Petroleum of Venezuela).Secure source of gas“We may have been able to save our industry by getting a secure source of gas for the downstream sector. It may over time also allow us to look at the expansion of the downstream sector and investments there, as long as we can show investors we have a secured stream of gas,” Rowley told journalists on the flight back from Venezuela.He also revealed that the NGC has been able to negotiate a tranche of gas for power generation at an even lower price than the rest of the gas to be used by the petrochemical sector.Oil pipeline to be builtRowley said the pipeline carrying the gas from Venezuela’s Dragon Gas field in Eastern Venezuela to Shell’s Hibiscus platform off the North Coast will be built and owned in a joint venture between the NGC and Shell Trinidad.The estimated cost of the construction of the pipeline is over TT$1 billion (One TT dollar =US$0.16 cents).During the signing Rowley and Maduro acknowledged that the agreement had come a year and a half after they signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the project.The Dragon field is located within Venezuela’s maritime territory, just off the north-west coast of Trinidad. It is close to the Hibiscus platform, jointly owned by the Trinidad and Tobago government and Shell.Shell is also the operator of Dragon. The deal will hopefully see Venezuelan gas from Dragon transported to Hibiscus and then to Point Fortin, where Atlantic will turn it into liquefied natural gas (LNG).Shell is also the helping the Trinidad and Tobago government develop and process gas from Loran-Manatee, which is off the south-east coast of Trinidad, and spans the maritime borders of Venezuela and Trinidad and Tobago.The Loran-Manatee field has an estimated 10.25 trillion cubic feet of gas of which roughly 74 per cent belongs to Venezuela with 26 per cent belonging to Trinidad and Tobago.last_img read more