Category: lxccueey

first_imgGPSU wage/salary deadlockGovernment’s proposed salary increase to public workers is really not the 10 per cent it is selling to the public, but four per cent less.Former President and now Opposition Leader, Bharrat Jagdeo said on Wednesday that Government was attempting to fool the masses with its proposal.“The actual increase is not 10 per cent; they want the 10 per cent to be stuck in people’s head – it is just over six per cent. So, it is totally unacceptable,” he told Guyana Times in an invited comment.He said what made the situation even more “egregious” was the fact it was the same people who took the huge increase for themselves of 50 to over 100 per cent using two explanations: they took the increases to avoid being corrupt and to make themselves more efficient.“Now if you’re saying that a Minister’s salary has to move from $580,000 to close to $1 million to make him less corrupt, what you are saying to the public servants who are taking home about $100,000 per month is that you can steal until you get to a million dollars a month or not be efficient, because that is the reasoning they use for the Ministers…What we find is a lot of confusion and hypocrisy on the part of this government,” Jagdeo blasted.Government and the GPSU are still at a standstill on salary increase negotiations. While Government maintains that it will not budge from its 10 per cent offer, the GPSU has been holding out and has even suggested that the two parties meet again for more talks. President David Granger has, however, said that there was nothing more that could be offered at this time.On Tuesday, political commentator, Dr David Hinds said Government’s 10 per cent salary increase offer was very much inadequate, considering the social, political and economic factors involved.“For example, 10 per cent of 60,000 is $6000; there is not much more a woman with two or three children can do with that. Public servants, like all categories of workers, deserve a living wage. The Government’s explanation that that’s all they can afford is not good enough. What Government can afford is based on what Government prioritises,” Dr Hinds told Guyana Times in an invited comment.Hinds questioned whether Government has made public servants’ wages a priority.“Of course, there are times when different categories of workers or different policy initiatives must be prioritised, but I have not heard of plausible reasons why public servant wages should not be given a look-in at this point. I say this even after taking into consideration that the Government did give the public servants a raise during its first year in office.When one takes into consideration that the majority of public servants come from the Government’s constituency, it is even more puzzling that it is not more forthcoming,” he posited.last_img read more

first_imgLantz says the City can’t keep giving grants for equipment, and each non-profit should budget before fundraising.[asset|aid=1591|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=db4fae17b0d7b6911c57cd5dfd583989-Lantz-rental 2_1_Pub.mp3]He also says non-profits shouldn’t need to rely on the fact that the City has event equipment. Mayor Bruce Lantz says the City needs to get the rental policy sorted out sooner than later.Last week, City Council decided to put off a final decision on the rental policy for the summer. However, Mayor Lantz now says a decision will likely be made at the July 13th meeting.On Monday’s Issues and Answers, Lantz says the he would personally like to see non-profit organizations budget for rental equipment.- Advertisement -[asset|aid=1590|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=db4fae17b0d7b6911c57cd5dfd583989-Lantz – rental 1_1_Pub.mp3]The issue has been circulating for a while now. Last month, Trail LeClerc from Systems by Trail said the City’s policy has been taking business away from him. He said customers go to the City because the equipment is cheaper.Meanwhile, Councilors are saying the City doesn’t want to compete with local businesses.Advertisementlast_img read more

first_imgHere is this week’s menu: Monday: Glazed chicken, Italian vegetable blend, cauliflower. Tuesday: Salisbury steak, peas and carrots, lima beans. Wednesday: Macaroni and cheese, chopped spinach, Italian vegetable blend. Thursday: Chicken teriyaki, cauliflower, peas and carrots. Lunch is served at noon weekdays at the Simi Valley Senior Citizens Center, 3900 Avenida Simi. Donation is $5, or $2.25 for ages 60 and older. Reservations are due 48 hours in advance by calling (805) 583-6365. Lunch is served to Moorpark seniors at noon weekdays at the Moorpark Active Adult Center, 799 Moorpark Ave. Suggested donation is $2.25. Call (805) 517-6261. Meals include salad, whole-grain bread, fruit, milk and choice of yogurt, cottage cheese or cheese stick. Friday: Beef and broccoli, lima beans, chopped spinach. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_imgRemember most of the restoration times listed by B.C. Hydro are estimates and will change throughout the day.  To see the most current information about power outages in your area, visit www.bchydro.com/outages or call B.C. Hydro at 1-888-POWER-ON. B.C. Hydro continue to work to restore power in the region, but because of sheer number of outages, it will take some time.In the Fort St. John area over 2,500 customers are without power and Hydro says most effected won’t see power restored until at least 5 p.m. today.In Dawson Creek and area over 3,000 customers are without power and Hydro hopes to restore power by 3 p.m. in most areas.- Advertisement -Around Chetwynd there are approximately 600 customers without power.  Power should be restored to most customers by 3 p.m. today.Hudson’s Hope has over 800 customers without power and the latest estimate shows power should be restored by 3 p.m. today.Most of Tumbler Ridge remains without power as 1,700 customers are in the dark.  Hydro hopes to have power restored in that area by 3 p.m. today.Advertisementlast_img read more

first_img“We thought we did enough to get a 0-0 but at the end of it, it is a shocking decision… so soft… but it is what it is. The penalty was poor and it is what won them the game,” the South African international told Capital Sport.“We turned the tie around last time and we are confident at home and on a proper pitch where we will be able to play our own style of football. The pitch here was not very good we had to adapt our game to play more direct,” the midfielder further added.He has however acknowledged that Gor Mahia will be a tough nut to crack in the return tie in Pretoria on April 18, but looking back at their home form when they reached the final of the same tournament last season, Furman is more than confident they stand a genuine chance.“They have a decent team and we have seen what they are all about today. They will be difficult to break down. We are disappointed to lose especially with that penalty, but if they open us up and score a good goal in Pretoria then we will lift our hands up and say well done,” Furman further added.Interim coach Kaitano Tembo also acknowledged that Gor is a tough team but just as his captain, he is confident their home advantage will hoist them to a good result and a second consecutive spot in the group stages.Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr (left) shakes hands with his SuperSport United Counterpart Kaitano Tembo while goalkeeper coach Andre Arendse looks on during their CAF COnfederations Cup play-off round match in Machakos on April 8, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu“They are a good team; if a team can go and lose 1-0 away in Tunisia against Esperance, it shows they are a formidable team and we can’t take them for granted. They have worked hard for the result and they deserve it,” Tembo said after the game.“We were looking to get try that away goal; at 0-0 it was okay and we could manage the game. I thought probably we should have caught them on transition when they were attacking especially if we were playing in a better pitch where the final pass could have been better,” he added.The tactician has warned they will be going in to ensure they get a win at home, says he expects Gor to travel to Pretoria and try preserve the result which will see them sail through.He has challenged his players to ensure they have quality in their possession and improve on their finishing as they eye a second consecutive group phase berth.The team is faced with a huge dilemma on which competition to give more preference with their fortunes in the PSL dwindling as they continue dipping closer to relegation. Skipper Furman has bluntly said they will be working to preserve their PSL status.“In January alone we played 10 games in 28 days which was very tasking for the players. But we are now fresher, playing well as a team hunger back again. We have to take game by game and hope for good results,” coach Tembo said.Furman added; “No pressure at all, this was great while it lasted last year. Now we got three very important games, our focus is majorly on getting off the relegation zone in the PSL.”SuperSport immediately travelled back to their base in Pretoria and are confronted with a tough tie against Orlando Pirates on Wednesday, then face Cape Town City before taking on Gor in the return tie.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gor Mahia’s Ernest Wendo vies for the ball with SuperSport United’s Dean Furman during the first leg of a CAF Confederation Cup play-off round in Machakos on April 8, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 9- SuperSport United skipper Dean Furman has blamed a combination of a ‘shocking’ penalty decision and what he termed as a poor pitch for their 1-0 loss to Gor Mahia in a CAF Confederations Cup third round, first leg tie in Machakos on Sunday.Madagascan referee Hamada Nampiandraza pointed straight to the spot in the 77th minute after Meddie Kagere’s header off a Bernard Omondi corner bounced on Grant kekana’s arm, a decision that Furman has termed as ‘completely soft’.last_img read more

first_imgLAPD Cmdr. Kirk Albanese told the commission Tuesday that the Explorer program does not condone the anti-homosexual beliefs of the Scouts. “Any discrimination, any lack of values as it relates to the Explorers, is not to be tolerated by the department,” he said. “They do not get exposed to anything that the Boy Scouts of America teach.” Even as commissioners asked for more answers to the Explorers’ administrative links to the Scouts, they praised the program for providing teens with an introduction into community service. “I am torn because I am the beneficiary of this program,” Commissioner Alan Skobin said. “It’s a program of real value, but we need to determine what the linkage is to Learning for Life.” While the LAPD runs the Explorer program, which receives thousands in donations from boosters and philanthropic groups per year, Learning for Life provides the administrative support. “I am proud to be affiliated with the membership (of Boy Scouts of America),” Salce said. “But we don’t discriminate. That is not what we do.” About 40 officers supervise LAPD Explorers and say the LAPD is the sole guiding influence. According to a commission report in 2002, City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo in a letter to Chief William Bratton clarified that the only association with Learning for Life and the department is an $8 fee per Explorer to cover insurance. He also noted that Learning for Life had a nondiscriminatory policy consistent with the LAPD’s. The independent nonprofit organization has similar agreements with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and the Los Angeles Unified School District, Salce said. In 2000, the Los Angeles City Council cut the Boy Scouts from the Explorer program and blocked troops from using city property for free. The effort came after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the group could legally ban the hiring or inclusion of Scouts on the basis of religion and sexual orientation. rachel.uranga@dailynews.com 818-713-3741160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsThe administration of the 16-week program that recently graduated 176 youths through the Los Angeles Police Academy is handled by Learning for Life, an Irving, Texas, company that provides programs nationwide on character development and career education for young people. The company broke with the Boy Scouts of America more than a decade ago, said Greg Salce, director of its Los Angeles area chapter, but the two organizations still share several national board members and offices in Texas. “You can easily see the connection between these organizations … on the Internet,” Freeman said, pointing to publicly available tax forms that show the two share the same address. Anthony Pacheco, president of the five-member citizens commission that oversees the LAPD, ordered the department to look into options to replace Learning for Life and asked the LAPD to demonstrate that the Boy Scouts’ anti-gay policy does not seep into the Explorer program. “This is an issue that’s of paramount importance to the commission,” he said. The Los Angeles Police Department’s largest youth program came under fire Tuesday for its links to the Boy Scouts of America, which condemns homosexuality, and the department is looking into possible replacements. Every year, hundreds of youths participate in the department’s Explorer program in an effort the LAPD sees as key to recruiting. But the program was assailed by departing and openly gay Los Angeles Police Commissioner Shelley Freeman and other commissioners for its ties to the Scouts. “This is a very disturbing relationship,” Freeman said during a commission meeting Tuesday. last_img read more

first_imgJoining Glennie in winning the scholarship was Bryn Handley (Southern Illinois/women’s swimming), Lily Johnson (Missouri State/women’s volleyball) and Jamie Murtagh (Indiana State/men’s track). Her award marks the third out of the last four years a Bulldog has earned an MVC Postgraduate Scholarship. Women’s track and field’s Kayla Bell and men’s track and field’s Brogan Austin were recipients in 2016 and 2015, respectively. Glennie plans to attend the Georgetown University Law School, where she will pursue a Graduate Certificate in Refugees and Humanitarian Emergencies. That will enable her to study human rights, with a specific focus on international trafficking of women and children and gender violence. This spring, Glennie earned first-team MVC women’s golf scholar-athlete honors for the third time in her outstanding career. She has maintained a perfect 4.0 grade-point average as an English and law, politics, & society major. In the fall, Glennie was a 2017 Rhodes Scholar finalist. The senior from Clearwater, Fla., finished her stellar career with a 76.5 round average over 106 career rounds. To be eligible for consideration, recipients must have achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.40, participated with distinction in a Missouri Valley Conference championship sport for at least two seasons at the nominating institution and must graduate from their institutions within 18 months following selection at the spring meetings of the Faculty Athletics Representative Committee.  Print Friendly Version DES MOINES, Iowa – Drake University women’s golf’s Madison Glennie has earned a Missouri Valley Conference Postgraduate Scholarship, announced by the league office on Tuesday, June 5. Glennie is one of four MVC student-athletes to win the prestigious scholarship.last_img read more

first_imgWould you like to help those affected by the Earthquake in Nepal last week?Letterkenny Rotary Club have opened a bank account to facilitate anyone who wishes to help those in desperate need of emergency relief; shelter, food and healthcare.By being a part of a worldwide organisation, the Rotary Club is perfectly situated to get money and necessary aid directly to the heart of the disaster area, by using Rotary Members & Aid workers who have local knowledge and training , and all with no middle man or administration Fees. Their Shelter boxes, AquaBoxes and Water Survival Boxes will be invaluable for sustainable community projects once the immediate emergency has been dealt with.If you want to help, then please donate at the Bank of Ireland, Letterkenny.Sort Code 90-49-15Account No. 56681060 Just €10 will provide water for a family for one week, a tent to shelter a homeless family or a 30kg of rice that will feed a family for one month.DONEGAL REACHES OUT TO THE PEOPLE OF NEPAL was last modified: April 29th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:appealdonegalLetetrkenny Rotary ClubNepallast_img read more

first_img Tags: Bevis MugabiMotherwell FCtopUganda CranesYeovil Town CAIRO, EGYPT – JUNE 26: Bevis Mugabi of Uganda and Talent Chawapihwa of Zimbabwe during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Group A match between Uganda and Zimbabwe at Cairo International Stadium on June 26, 2019 in Cairo, Egypt. (PHOTOS/Courtesy)Uganda Cranes defender Bevis Mugabi has joined Scottish side Motherwell FC.Mugabi is understood to have signed a short term deal with the side that is best in Motherwell.His deal which will run until January 2020 was confirmed by Motherwell on their official website.“Motherwell have signed Ugandan international defender Bevis Mugabi on a short-term deal until January, subject to international clearance. Read part of post.It is understood that Mugabi did trials which he successfully passed and will done the yellow and maroon jersey.Mugabi posses for a picture after signing for Motherwell on Thursday.He joins Motherwell from Yeovil Town where he has been since 2016.Mugabi is a full Uganda Cranes international having made his debut in 2018.He was part of the Cranes team that reached the last 16 of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt where they were eliminated by Senegal.At AFCON 2019, the lanky defender played all four of Uganda’s games, starting at both left back and center half.Speaking after joining Motherwell, Mugabi expressed his delight to be joining the club.“I’m excited for a new challenge at Motherwell,” noted Mugabi as quoted by Motherwell.. “I can’t wait to get started.“I spoke to some of my old team-mates who had played in Scotland, including Alex Fisher.“They told me it was a great opportunity, with Alex telling me how great a place Motherwell was.”In joining the Scottish Premier League (SPL), Uganda becomes the second Ugandan to play in Scotland after David Obua who featured for Hearts of Meredith at the turn of the century.Motherwell are fifth on the SPL log with seven points after four games and the club will take on Hearts on Saturday in their next game.Comments last_img read more

first_imgLike our San Francisco 49ers Facebook page for more 49ers news, commentary and conversation. SANTA CLARA — Kyle Shanahan officially entered the NFL coaching ranks in 2004, and it was Jon Gruden’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers that welcomed the 25-year-old son-of-a-coach.Thursday night, Shanahan takes on Gruden for the first time as a fellow head coach. It’s stirred warm memories from their two seasons together in Tampa, and it’s mercifully paused the conversation about this season’s woes for …last_img read more